How to revive the suffering – Encouragement from God’s purpose:Part 2
2 Thessalonians 1:5-10
How to revive the suffering
Why is suffering important?
Discover the unanswered question between vv4-5
How is their suffering evidence that they will be considered worthy of the kingdom?
The answer to this question is going to give you a surprising perspective on suffering.
- It's going to tell you why it's essential in your life.
- I propose to lead you to the answer with a series of two additional questions.
Q1: On what basis will they be judged worthy of the kingdom?
- Rom 2:6
- 2 Cor. 5:10
- Rev 20:12; 22:12
- Matt 7:24-29; 25:31-46
- James 2:14-26
A1: Based on their works
You will be judged based on your works because your works vindicate your confession
Q2a: What is the relationship between the judgment based on works and present sufferings?
- 1st relationship: One of necessity – Rom 8:17 = Only path to glory
- 2nd relationship: One of Preservation – 2 Cor. 4:17 = Preserves us for glory
- 3rd relationship: One of Conformity – Rom 8: 28 – 29 = Means of conformity
A2: Sufferings conform them and thereby prepares and preserves them for the judgment
Your response to suffering will be the grounds upon which your confession is vindicated in the judgment.
Q2b: What if my responses have been fleshly, ie. Fearful, unfaithful, faithless, selfish, immoral, ungrateful, discontent, etc.?
- Work on your theology of suffering
- God will repay those that cause suffering
- 2 Thess. 1:6-9; Is. 10:10-27; Jam. 5:1-8
- Suffering is a means of discipline
- Ps 119: 67; Heb. 12:4-11
- Suffering produces evidence of God's election
- Rom 5:3; Jam. 1:2-3; 1 Pet. 1:6-9
- Suffering is the ordained path to glory
- Rom 8:17; 1 Pet. 2:18-25, 3:8-9, 4:1-2
- Suffering is an honour
- Acts 5:4; Phil. 3:8-11
- Rom 8:13 Learn to walk by the Spirit
- Gal 5:16 Practical steps for this = Communion & Cross
- 1 Cor. 6:9-11
- 2 Pet. 1:9-11
- There will be hell to pay for those who are asleep
- Matt 25:1-13
- Matt 10:32-33
- 2 Tim. 2:11-12
Suffering is the fire that refines the gold
If there is no suffering, there will be no glory